PASTERNACK ENTERPRISES RoHS COMPLIANCE PROGRAM
Lead-free solder is now available for all cable assemblies upon request or online at www.Pasternack.com.
What is RoHS Compliance?
The European Union set forth the RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) Directive to establish environmental guidelines and legislation to reduce the presence of six (6) materials deemed hazardous to the environment. To comply, products entering the EU must not have a homogeneous presence of these materials above the following levels by weight percentage:
- Lead (Pb) < 0.1%
- Mercury (Hg) < 0.1%
- Cadmium (Cd) < 0.01%
- Hexavalent Chromium (CrVI) < 0.1%
- Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB) < 0.1%
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Esters (PBDE) < 0.1%
At Pasternack, we recognize our responsibility as a supplier of coax connectors, cable assemblies, and components used within electronic-based systems and products that are targeted for RoHS compliance. We are fully committed to offering RoHS compliance on the majority of our products. We have completed a comprehensive evaluation and analysis program both internally and with our suppliers to establish and publish RoHS compliant statements for our products on our website.
Determining Pasternack RoHS Compliance
To determine if the product in our catalog is RoHS Compliant, please first refer to our website at www.Pasternack.com. For each part, we show an indicator of compliance using this symbol:
All products displaying this symbol on our website have been certified as RoHS Compliant. Click on this symbol to view the Certificate of RoHS Compliance for this product.
We recognize that you may have specific questions regarding RoHS certification on Pasternack's components and products. We will be happy to process all such requests as quickly as possible. Please direct any such requests to Pasternack Enterprises Technical Support via email at TechSupport@Pasternack.com or by calling Toll-Free within North America at 1-866-PASTERNACK (866-727-8376). International customers, please use +1-949-261-1920.
Methods Determining RoHS Compliance
RoHS Compliance is determined by a combination of supplier certification and engineering design verification. In most cases, Pasternack's products were determined to be RoHS Compliant. In many cases, the Compliance was through a stated Exemption to the RoHS Directive. As a supplier of coaxial connectors, adapters, and RF components, Pasternack uses materials such as Brass and Stainless Steel which contain lead as a percentage of weight above the 0.1% threshold, but are allowed through the Exemptions as of the October 21st, 2005 RoHS Directive amendment. Pasternack uses these Exemptions to the RoHS Directive where applicable.
What are the Exemptions?
RoHS Directive text as of the Oct 21st, 2005 amendment is underlined, and how it applies to Pasternack products is indicated below each Exemption.
ANNEX to ROHS DIRECTIVE 2011/65/EU
"Applications of lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) which are exempted from the requirements of Article 4(1)":
5. Lead in glass of cathode ray tubes, electronic components and fluorescent tubes.
Some Pasternack products use resistive and/or dielectric inks that contain lead in a glass phase and fall under this exemption 5.
6. Lead as an alloying element in steel containing up to 0.35% lead by weight, aluminum containing up to 0.4% lead by weight and as a copper alloy containing up to 4% lead by weight. Most Pasternack products use metal alloys that contain lead below the maximum concentration values specified under this exemption 6. Specifically: aluminum alloys, brass, stainless steel, beryllium copper and phosphor bronze.
7. Lead in solders for servers, storage and storage array systems, network infrastructure equipment for switching, signaling, transmission as well as network management for telecommunications. All Pasternack coaxial cable assemblies are made using solder containing lead (unless lead-free solder is specified), and may be used in network infrastructure equipment and therefore would fall under this exemption 7. This exemption is application specific, however, and we therefore leave it up to our customer to determine whether this exemption applies to their application.
Pasternack has loaded new part numbers for cable assemblies using lead-free solder on our website, using the
format PE3xxxxLF-yy, where “xxxx” identifies the part using the existing corresponding item number, and “yy” identifies
the length in inches. For example, PE3067LF-24 is the same as PE3067-24 (BNC Male to BNC Male, RG58C/U), except it
uses lead-free solder to be fully ROHS Compliant.